Webinar 3, September 15, 2017: When State Family Law and Federal Immigration Laws Intersect: Promoting Access to the Courts and Just Outcomes for Immigrants – This webinar provides an overview of some of the ways immigration law intersects with state family court cases, specifically cases involving domestic violence. In particular, the judges’ role and judicial ethics of U Visa certification and SIJS findings are explored. Additionally, this session addresses how access to legally correct information about immigration laws improves outcomes and accountability in custody and protection order proceedings, and promotes access to justice for immigrant families. — Judicial Education Center
- SJI Training Materials (PDF)
- Family Law Protections Training Materials (PDF)
- VAWA Confidentiality Protections Training Materials
- DHS Interactive Infographic on Protections for Immigrant Victims
- Understanding the Significance of a Minor’s Trauma History in Family Court Rulings
- New Mexico Public Benefits Chart
This publication was developed under grant number SJI-20-E-005 from the State Justice Institute. The points of view expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the State Justice Institute.