This webinar will provide attendees with:
- An overview of the law regarding U visa certification by judges
- Up-to-date legally correct information from DHS on U visa certification and U visa regulations and policies
- Discussion of why U visa certification from judges was included in the statute as a viable option for victims
- Best practices for state and federal judges signing U visa certification including timing of judicial certification in civil and criminal cases
- Practice pointers for judges on completing the U visa certification form.
- U Visa Certification Toolkit for Judges
- U Visa Checklist for Assessing Helpfulness
- DHS- U Visa Law Enforcement Certification Resource Guide
- Report: The Importance of the U Visa as a Crime-Fighting Tool for Law Enforcement Officials- Views from Around the Country
- Stories from the Field: A Collection of Stories of Immigrant Survivors, Documenting the Need for VAWA Immigration Protections
- Collection of U Visa News Articles
- Q&A- Filing T, U, and VAWA Petitions with USCIS
- Department of Homeland Security Policy Answers to Law Enforcement Reasons for Not Certifying
This publication was developed under grant number SJI-20-E-005 from the State Justice Institute. The points of view expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the State Justice Institute.