Obtaining Non-work Social Security Numbers Needed by VAWA Self-Petitioners to Maintain Public and Assisted Housing (2019) [pdf]

Under Section 214 Housing, VAWA Self-Petitioners are eligible for public and assisted housing; however, in order to obtain these housing benefits, VAWA Self-Petitioners must have a Social Security Number. This document explains the process of applying for a Non-Work Social Security Number which VAWA Self-Petitioners need until their petition is approved, and they can work in the country legally and obtain a work authorized Social Security Number. The document also includes a list of forms advocates and attorneys should provide to the PHA as well as the Social Security Administration office in order to help VAWA Self-Petitioners get the public and assisted housing for which they are eligible.